Breaking News & Updates
Xero’s financial report reveals BIG loss but share price pop. - eepurl.com/isNmKQ
If you’ve been following what has happened with Mentor Education you probably also have a strong interest in the integrity of Australia’s accredited training industry.
We’ve had a lot of Mentor Education students make contact just to learn more about what they can do about their courses because they hadn’t heard from Mentor Education, nor the receivers. Some students were counting on their qualifications to find work, others were promised a wage increase with a qualification and others have been through several different training providers while they juggle work, family and study.
There appears to be some good news though you wouldn’t know it by any official announcements
The Timeline Events of the Mentor Education Story
- When the initial announcement was made that Mentor Education appeared to be going broke they stopped taking enrolments for the expensive non-accredited MYOB & Xero Courses offered by The Career Academy (convicted in NZ of misleading students) but their website was still active.
- They were however still paying for Google Ads to promote a Cert IV in Bookkeeping and Accounting for $990. They may have been promoting other courses too but that’s when the dilemma became apparent that perhaps they should have spent any money available on making sure that current students had their assessments marked and USI academic transcripts updated.
- The paid Google Ads for the Cert IV in Bookkeeping & Accounting were increased to about $1,500 and then some pages went missing (the Career Academy non-accredited courses),
- It became apparent from conversations with some students that assessment tasked had not been completed as far back as October 2022.
- Another student told me that if they asked for a refund that they might then be considered a creditor and at least have correspondence from the company or administrators about the financial state of the business.
- Our most recent blog post delved into the different governing and Government organisations which administer different parts of the Vocational Training Sector.
Most Recent Announcement says Mentor Education is Winding Up
The most recent announcement at ASIC is that Mentor Education is being wound up.
The LinkedIn page for Mentor Education is still full of content and links to employees and Alumni but the website shows a very different story. There is no content on the website at all now and just a login dialog box (that appears to be for website administrators).
My most recent conversation with a Mentor Education student revealed nothing new, there appears to be no correspondence or replies to email messages on any topic.
I’m predicting that they will make an announcement that benefits students who have already completed and lodged their assignments.
As far as finishing their studies with another provider is concerned I’m not so confident unless it is through the other Government owned RTO, TAFE. The usual process to transfer studies to a different provider is to
- find out which subjects are yet to be completed, then
- find a training provider that offers those subjects as part of their own Cert IV in Bookkeeping and Accounting.
- Then get a cost to transfer across
The problem that everyone would face in this scenario is that individual subjects are usually much more expensive than the full Cert IV qualification and someone has to go through the administration of these transfers – very messy.
EzyLearn OFFER for Mentor Education Cert IV in Bookkeeping and Accounting Students
In our experience many students who enrol into a Cert IV in Bookkeeping and Accounting really just need skills in how to use MYOB and Xero so they can be confident applying for accounts jobs and doing the work.
Our online training courses are filled with practical exercises, based on real world case studies to give students hands-on experience in performing the bookkeeping tasks they need to know.
One of the most popular is the MYOB & Xero Cloud DUO Certificate course.
For a limited time “qualified” Mentor Education students can enrol into this course for half of the currently discounted price.
What can you do?
Industry-Endorsed Short Courses in MYOB & Xero can give you the skills and confidence to apply for accounts jobs as well as perform better in your current job and they are usually much cheaper than accredited courses.-- Did you like what you read? Want to receive these posts via email when they are published? Subscribe below.